Eyelid lift surgery, medically known as blepharoplasty, is an effective way to resolve issues like drooping upper eyelids and prominent undereye bags. This straightforward procedure targets the delicate skin around the eye area, which is often the first place to show signs of aging.
As a female plastic surgeon who believes in forming long-lasting relationships with her patients, Dr. Stephanie Teotia takes time to educate people about the procedures she performs. Here are the top five things you should know before committing to eyelid surgery.
- It can improve your vision: Your eyelid surgery might be medically necessary if the skin of your upper eyelids sags significantly enough to impede your sightline and make daily tasks like cooking, reading, and driving difficult.
- It can remove years from your appearance: As you get older, the skin and muscles around your eyelids will begin to weaken, causing a permanently fatigued look. Many people inherit this cosmetic issue from their parents. Fortunately, a board-certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Teotia can help you turn back time with an expertly performed blepharoplasty surgery.
- Many people are good candidates: If you are in your mid- to late 30s and are already experiencing drooping eyelid skin and noticeable undereye bags, you may assume you are too young to get a blepharoplasty procedure. However, the good news is that there is no such thing as an “ideal age” for this surgery. Healthy people experiencing premature aging that affects their self-esteem can benefit from an eyelid lift earlier in life.
- Blepharoplasty is a sought-after surgery: According to statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, eyelid lifts are consistently among the top five most frequently performed procedures in the United States among men and women alike.
- Eyelid lifts are customizable: Sagging and drooping eyelid skin can make you appear fatigued or constantly worried, no matter how you may feel on the inside. Eyelid surgery is a low-risk, high-reward procedure with long-lasting outcomes.
What Is Eyelid Surgery?
Dr. Teotia has pioneered an in-office blepharoplasty technique that allows her to perform the surgery in a comfortable setting while minimizing the risks associated with general anesthesia. During your procedure, you can self-administer Pro-Nox – a 50/50 combination of oxygen and nitrous oxide – to alleviate any discomfort or distress you may feel.
While some people only focus on one part of their eyes, others choose to pair upper and lower eyelid surgery for a more comprehensive rejuvenation.
How Long Do Eyelid Surgery Results Last?
Most people who start their aesthetic journeys with realistic expectations are thrilled with their natural-looking Dallas blepharoplasty results. While you should always look younger after an eyelid lift than your peers who did not have this transformative surgery, remember that nothing can halt the natural aging process. Still, you can typically expect to enjoy your results for a decade or more if you use medical-grade skin care products, protect yourself from the sun, eat a balanced diet, and stay hydrated.
To achieve even better outcomes and save time, you may want to have your blepharoplasty done at the same time as other cosmetic procedures. For example, many of our patients opt to have their eyelid surgery performed in conjunction with a facelift or brow lift. Dr. Teotia will help you decide if you are a good candidate for pairing surgeries.
What Is the Difference Between Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery?
Upper and lower eyelid surgery share the same goal – removing excess skin and fat that make you look older, exhausted, and unfriendly.
During upper eyelid surgery, Dr. Teotia will make tiny incisions along the natural eyelid creases. When performing lower eyelid surgery to correct puffiness and bags under your eyes, Dr. Teotia will create incisions directly below the lower lash line. These incision locations ensure discreet healing with virtually invisible scarring.
What Should I Avoid Before Eyelid Surgery?
If you are a smoker, Dr. Teotia will ask that you quit at least two weeks before getting plastic surgery. Smoking is harmful to every aspect of your health – especially when you are recovering from a surgical procedure. Cigarette smoke contains hundreds of toxic chemicals that can prematurely age your skin. Nicotine can also delay healing by restricting your circulation, leaving you more vulnerable to post-surgical complications.
Before surgery, you will also need to stop taking any prescription medications, over-the-counter painkillers, vitamins, or supplements that can thin your blood. These include aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, vitamin E, and physician-prescribed anticoagulants like warfarin.
What Should I Look for in an Eyelid Surgeon?
Finding a capable surgeon with years of training, study, and experience in facial plastic surgery is critical to getting eyelid lift results you will be proud of for years. Here are the qualities you should consider.
- Board certification: Board certification is a hallmark of a plastic surgeon’s dedication to patient safety, medical ethics, and the art and science of their craft. Earning this qualification requires completing extensive training and passing a series of rigorous oral and written examinations.
- Initial consultation: A pre-procedure consultation is your chance to get answers to all your questions about every element of eyelid surgery. It should include an honest discussion of risks, how to prepare for the procedure, and what to expect before, during, and afterward. Dr. Teotia will also ask you to provide details of your medical history, including any existing medical conditions. All these factors will help her customize your operation to best meet your needs.
- Friendly, approachable personality: When you arrive for your consultation, take notice of how your surgeon and their support team make you feel. Their demeanor and “bedside manner” should put you at ease, allow you to establish a comfortable rapport, and help you be confident in your decision to pursue eyelid surgery.
- Before-and-after photos: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder – therefore, you cannot put all your trust in a word-of-mouth recommendation or online testimonial. You also need to look carefully at patient results for each board-certified surgeon you talk to. When reviewing before-and-after photos, look for eyelid lift patients with similar concerns and a comparable facial anatomy to yours. Does their refreshed appearance align with the way you hope to look?
- Experience: Plastic surgery is a complex discipline with many subspecialties. Ask your surgeon where they trained, how long they have been doing eyelid surgery, and how often they perform the procedure.
Learn More About Dallas Eyelid Surgery With Dr. Teotia
Eyelid surgery and recovery represent an opportunity for you to enjoy some well-deserved “me time” while you focus on self-care and looking your best. Dr. Teotia offers her patients in Flower Mound, Oak Creek, and the surrounding communities. Contact our compassionate, all-female staff at (214) 823-9652 to learn more about eyelid surgery or any of the other face, breast, and body procedures we provide.