Gynecomastia Surgery in Dallas, TX — Dr. Stephanie Teotia
No matter how much you diet and exercise, nothing seems to help reduce the size of your chest. You may feel intensely self-conscious when changing clothes at the gym, the pool, or during intimate moments. You might be embarrassed about the appearance of breasts, even when you have your shirt on.
If this sounds uncomfortably familiar to you, you may be among the many men with gynecomastia, a medical condition that causes men to develop excess breast tissue. Dr. Stephanie Teotia is a board-certified plastic surgeon who offers gynecomastia surgery, a way to eliminate unwanted male breast tissue.
To learn more about male breast reduction surgery in the greater Dallas area, including the Turtle Creek and Oaklawn communities, call us at (214) 823-9652.
What Causes Gynecomastia?
A wide range of factors can cause men to develop unwanted breast tissue, including genetics, obesity, hormonal imbalance, aging, and your use of specific prescription medications. The most common signs of gynecomastia include swelling and tenderness in the breast tissue. Though it does not usually signify a health or medical issue, gynecomastia can adversely affect your body image and self-confidence.
Men seeking male breast reduction surgery in the Dallas area have no reason to feel embarrassed. Some estimates suggest as many as 60% of men develop gynecomastia at some point in their lives. Thus, many men have started seeking this surgical procedure to remove excess tissue and fat and restore their self-esteem.
How Does Gynecomastia Surgery Work?
As a board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Teotia is proud to offer male breast reduction as a specialty of her Dallas practice. In general, when performing gynecomastia surgery, she will remove extra glandular breast tissue and fat and tighten the remaining skin for a more contoured, masculine chest contour. However, as no two patients are alike, Dr. Teotia will carefully tailor a treatment plan to address your unique concerns and the outcomes you are hoping to achieve.
Surgical approaches to gynecomastia include liposuction, excision of excess breast tissue, or a combination of both approaches. You may also choose to have liposuction performed on other areas of your body where you have frustrating fat deposits.
Why Choose Dr. Teotia for Gynecomastia Surgery?
Creating a Partnership
When you decide to have a major plastic surgery procedure, you’ll want a surgeon who is on your side. Dr. Teotia and her all-female staff strive to give each patient the look they want, rather than pushing a single standard of beauty.
Skill and expertise
Dr. Teotia uses some of the most advanced breast reduction techniques in her practice. Her compassionate, cutting-edge approach enables her to make smaller incisions while reducing the risk of infection and speeding recovery.
Teotia prides herself on delivering an outcome that never looks overdone. During your personalized consultation, she will plan your procedure with you to produce results that are in harmony with the rest of your body.
Let's Start a Partnership!
Dr. Teotia believes during every aspect of your aesthetic journey, trust and communication are essential. When you choose to partner with Dr. Teotia, you can expect a personalized approach from a specialist who genuinely has your best interest in mind. She invites you to meet with her and our friendly, all-female team to learn more about what we can do for you.
Proven Benefits of Gynecomastia Surgery
Gynecomastia’s effects reach far beyond the cosmetic. Though it is not a risk factor for your physical well-being, if you are living with this condition, you may struggle with low confidence and can even develop mental health issues such as social anxiety disorder and body dysmorphia.
Men with gynecomastia have trouble sculpting a more masculine-looking chest, even after spending hours doing targeted chest exercises like push-ups and dumbbell flys. If your gynecomastia results from excess glandular tissue, exercise and healthy eating alone may not be enough to diminish your breast size.
Consider these advantages of having surgery to address your gynecomastia.
- Improved quality of life: Many men can become insecure when their enlarged breast tissue does not respond to lifestyle changes. Creating a firmer, flatter chest can provide a nearly immediate self-esteem boost for men who have been living with gynecomastia for years. Having a flatter chest thanks to male breast reduction surgery allows Dr. Teotia’s patients to wear more form-fitting clothing and confidently go shirtless at the pool or beach.
- Fewer body dysmorphic disorder symptoms: Many men with gynecomastia feel as though their silhouette is out of sync with their gender identity. Male breast reduction removes excess fatty tissue, letting men be proud of their flatter chest and more sculpted physique.
- Less discomfort during exercise: Having breasts can make physical activity uncomfortable, which is something many women can relate to. While women can find sports bras to restrain their breasts and prevent pain during their workouts, men do not have the same options. Reducing their chest size allows male patients to feel more comfortable engaging in regular physical activity, which helps motivate them to stay fit and maintain their newly firmer figure.
- Better posture: Having an enlarged chest can dramatically affect your posture, causing you to round your shoulders and upper back. Over time, this can lead to chronic spinal pain and a weakened core. Sometimes, the breasts’ weight is not substantial enough to pull the upper body forward, but men struggling with gynecomastia may hunch their backs to hide their chests.
Am I a Good Candidate for Gynecomastia?
The best candidates for male breast reduction surgery are:
- Are in good overall health
- Are nonsmokers
- Have adequate skin elasticity
- Have a realistic expectation of what results they can expect
Once Dr. Teotia has evaluated your medical history and determined what causes your gynecomastia, your next step may be to undergo a mammogram or breast X-ray to determine what approach will be the most effective. For example, she will need to assess how much fat, glandular material, and excess skin you have to determine whether this procedure is right for you.
What to Expect After Male Breast Reduction
Gynecomastia surgery is an outpatient procedure. After your surgery, Dr. Teotia and her caring, all-female team will send you home with comprehensive instructions that will include how to care for your incisions, medications to take to minimize discomfort and reduce the potential for infection, specific concerns to look for at the surgical site or in your general health, and when to return for your follow-up appointments.
During your consultation, bring a list of specific questions about what you can look forward to in your recovery period, such as the following:
- What prescription or over-the-counter drugs will I need to take after my surgery?
- Will I have to wear support garments after my surgery?
- Will I have sutures or drains? If so, when will I have those removed?
- When do I need to return for follow-up appointments?
As you heal, it is essential to follow all post-surgical instructions carefully and attend follow-up visits as scheduled.
FAQs About Gynecomastia Surgery in Dallas, TX
Gynecomastia surgery typically has a relatively gentle recovery period. You may feel sore and swollen during the first few days of at-home rest, but pain is usually minimal. You can manage any discomfort with over-the-counter pain relievers like Tylenol or Advil.
The results of gynecomastia surgery are permanent for many patients. However, if you developed this condition after gaining weight or using specific medications, you must commit to maintaining a healthy body weight and remaining free of those drugs to continue enjoying your outstanding surgical outcomes.
We recommend taking at least a week off work while you let your body heal. During this time, get a lot of rest and avoid strenuous activities, especially those that involve lifting heavy objects. After the first week, you should feel well enough to resume light physical activity.
Many of Dr. Teotia’s gynecomastia patients worry about prominent scars marring their improved self-esteem after surgery. Dr. Teotia draws upon her extensive experience to make small incisions that will heal discreetly. That way, your friends and family members will never know you had plastic surgery unless you choose to tell them.